smon
Jan 25, 2026

Mark Carney Sues Pete Hegseth and Network for $50 Million Following "Shocking Attack"

‘Beaten, Beaten — Pay Now!’: Mark Carney Sues Pete Hegseth and Network for $50 Million After Shocking Attack

OTTAWA — In a stunning legal escalation, former central banker Mark Carney has filed a $50 million defamation lawsuit against Fox News host Pete Hegseth and the network following what Mr. Carney’s lawyers describe as a “malicious and baseless” on-air attack on his character and professional integrity.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court this morning, alleges that Mr. Hegseth made false and defamatory statements about Mr. Carney during a segment that aired last week, including accusations of corruption, policy misconduct, and undue influence over global financial institutions.

What seemed like a normal interview turned into a war when Mr. Hegseth, a prominent conservative commentator and former Trump administration official, launched into a furious critique of Mr. Carney’s policies and what he called “the corrupt system” the former banker represents.

“Mark Carney is the face of everything wrong with global finance,” Mr. Hegseth said during the broadcast. “He pushed policies that enriched insiders while ordinary people suffered. He is not a leader. He is a puppet.”

The comments, which went viral across social media, drew immediate condemnation from Mr. Carney’s associates. But few expected what came next.

Rather than remaining silent or responding through the press, the former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor took decisive legal action. The lawsuit, which seeks $50 million in damages, names both Mr. Hegseth personally and the network as defendants.

“Mr. Carney has spent his entire career serving the public good with integrity, transparency, and extraordinary competence,” the lawsuit states. “The statements made by Mr. Hegseth were not opinion. They were false assertions of fact, made with malice, and designed to destroy Mr. Carney’s reputation.”

Fox News has not yet issued a formal response. A network spokesperson said the legal department is reviewing the complaint. Mr. Hegseth, known for his combative style, posted a brief message on social media: “Suing me won’t change the truth. See you in court.”