smon
May 09, 2026

Mark Carney Sues Karoline Leavitt and Network for $50 Million After On-Air Attack

‘Beaten – Pay Now’ – Mark Carney Sues Karoline Leavitt and Network for $50 Million After Shocking On-Air Attack

OTTAWA — In a stunning escalation that has sent shockwaves through political and media circles, former central banker and current Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has filed a $50 million defamation lawsuit against White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt and the network that aired her remarks, following what his legal team calls a “malicious and false” on-air attack.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, D.C., alleges that Leavitt made “knowingly false and defamatory statements” about Carney’s tenure as Governor of the Bank of Canada and the Bank of England, as well as his current role as Prime Minister. The complaint seeks $50 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

“This is not about politics,” Carney said in a brief statement outside his Ottawa office. “This is about accountability. When false statements are made with malice, when they are broadcast to millions, and when they are designed to destroy a reputation, there must be consequences. No one is above the law — not even the White House press secretary.”

The interview in question, which aired on a major cable news network last week, featured Leavitt launching a broadside against Carney’s economic policies, accusing him of “destroying Western economies” and overseeing what she called “a globalist system designed to impoverish working people.”

“Mark Carney is the poster child for everything wrong with the global elite,” Leavitt said during the segment. “He pushed policies that enriched his friends and crushed ordinary families. He is not an economist. He is a weapon of mass financial destruction.”

The network’s host did not interrupt or challenge the remarks, allowing them to stand without context or contradiction. The segment was later promoted across the network’s social media channels, amplifying its reach.

Carney’s legal team argues that the statements are not opinion but false assertions of fact, including specific allegations about Carney’s conduct in office that are demonstrably untrue. The suit names both Leavitt personally and the network as defendants, citing “actual malice” — the legal standard required for public figures to win defamation claims.

“The law is clear,” said defamation attorney Lisa Bloom, who is not involved in the case. “For a public figure to succeed in a defamation claim, they must prove that false statements were made with knowledge of their falsity or with reckless disregard for the truth. Carney’s legal team is alleging exactly that.”

The White House has declined to comment on the lawsuit, citing pending litigation. But sources close to Leavitt describe her as “defiant” and “unconcerned,” with one insider telling The Times that the press secretary believes her remarks were protected opinion.

“She said what she said,” the source said. “She stands by it. And she is not backing down.”

The network issued a brief statement calling the lawsuit “meritless” and vowing to “defend vigorously” its First Amendment rights. “A free press cannot function if every controversial statement results in a lawsuit,” the statement read.

Legal experts are divided on the merits of Carney’s claim. Some note that defamation suits by public figures face high hurdles under American law, particularly when the statements at issue touch on matters of public concern.

“Carney is a public figure,” said First Amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams. “That means he has to prove actual malice — that the defendant either knew the statements were false or acted with reckless disregard for the truth. That is a very high bar.”

Others argue that Leavitt’s statements crossed a line from opinion to false factual assertion. “Calling someone a ‘weapon of mass financial destruction’ is hyperbolic opinion,” said media law expert Jane Kirtley. “Accusing them of specific misconduct in office without evidence is something else entirely.”

The $50 million figure is not arbitrary. Carney’s legal team calculated the sum based on projected loss of future earnings, damage to reputation, and the cost of restoring his standing in the global financial community. “This is not a nuisance suit,” one source close to the case said. “This is a serious claim for serious damages.”

The timing of the lawsuit has raised eyebrows. Carney is actively serving as Prime Minister, navigating a tense trade relationship with the United States. Some observers question whether launching a high-profile defamation suit against a White House official is prudent diplomacy.

“There is a time for lawsuits and a time for statesmanship,” said Dr. Jennifer Stewart, a political scientist at Carleton University. “Filing a $50 million defamation claim against the White House press secretary while your country is in the middle of trade negotiations is certainly a choice. Whether it is a wise choice remains to be seen.”

Carney’s defenders argue that he had no choice. “When your integrity is attacked on national television, silence is not an option,” said one aide. “The Prime Minister is defending not just himself but the office he holds. He cannot allow falsehoods to stand unchallenged.”

The network has not yet filed a formal response to the lawsuit. But sources indicate that the legal team is preparing a motion to dismiss, likely arguing that Leavitt’s statements constitute protected opinion on matters of public concern.

Other posts